We all know that desk is an essential part of any office space. It’s where we spend our days and, sometimes, our nights. The perfect desk should be comfortable but not too expensive; it should have plenty of storage and a large surface area for your laptop or desktop monitor, and it should look good in the room you’re putting it in.
But how do you actually choose the perfect desk? This post will give you step-by-step instructions to help make your decision easier.
Different Types of Desks
They are many different types of desks out there, and you’ll want to make sure that your new desk is the perfect fit for your office needs. Here are a few different types of desks to consider.
- Traditional Desk – The traditional desk is rectangular with a hutch for storage. It’s the most common type of office furniture you’ll find in most businesses. Luckily, these types of desks can be found in a variety of colors and styles to fit your office’s decor needs.
- Modern Desk – A modern desk is usually a smaller version of the traditional desk. They tend to be either round or square and offer less storage than their traditional counterparts. However, they are usually less expensive and can be great for small spaces.
- Computer Desk – Computer desks tend to have a smaller surface area than traditional or modern desks. This is because they are designed with the average laptop and desktop computer in mind as opposed to a full-sized monitor.
- Desk with Storage – A desk with storage is the perfect solution for those who have a lot of stuff to store. They often come with numerous drawers and shelves for plenty of storage space. They can either come in a traditional or modern style, and you’ll have to decide if the extra storage is worth sacrificing the larger surface area.
- L Shaped Desk – L-shaped desks are perfect for those with limited space who still need an office desk that has plenty of surface area. They have the traditional desk shape but are usually shorter and wider than a standard desk to save space while still providing plenty of surface area and storage space.
- Screensaver – The screensaver is a great solution for those who need to save their neck from getting stiff or sore. It’s a screen that attaches to the back of your traditional or modern desk and helps keep you sitting up straight while working at your computer for long periods of time.
- Gaming Desk – Gaming desks are great for gamers and PC enthusiasts. They often come with a huge surface area, multiple storage spaces, and other features that make them perfect for gaming.
- Stand Up Desk – Stand-up desks are great for those who have to stand while working. They come with a standing platform that’s usually adjustable so you can change it as
What to Consider When Shopping for a Desk
There are many different factors that you’ll need to consider when shopping for the perfect desk. Here’s what you should keep in mind when shopping for your next desk.
Surface Area – Make sure you have enough surface area on whatever type of desk you choose. You’ll need space for your monitor and laptop, as well as any office supplies you might have.
Height – If possible, try sitting at the desk you want to buy before you buy it. Make sure the desk is at a comfortable height for your body type and that you can change its height if you need to.
Desk Size – Make sure you measure the space where your desk will go before buying one. You’ll need to make sure there’s enough room for your new desk, and that it won’t get in the way of anything else.
Ergonomically Designed – It’s also important for desks to come ergonomically designed with features like keyboard trays and wrist rests. Some desks come with these features, but not all of them do.
Storage Space – Will you be storing office supplies or other items on your desk? If so, then you’ll want a desk that has enough storage space.
Color – You’ll want to make sure that the color of your desk fits in with the rest of your office’s decor. It might take a few days of searching to find the perfect color, but it’s worth taking your time and finding one that really works for you.
Style – If you’re looking for a traditional desk, then choose between modern or traditional designs. If you want something more modern, make sure the style fits your needs.
Price – If you’re on a budget, then the price will be the most important factor when shopping for your next desk. You can find cheap desks, but you’ll have to sacrifice quality and features.
Material – Last but not least, make sure the desk is made of a material that’s sturdy enough to handle your needs.
Types of Material
There are many different types of materials that you can choose from when shopping for your next desk. Here’s a list of the most common ones:
Wood – Wood is a traditional material that’s been used for years, and it can be found in both modern and traditional designs.
Metal – Metal is another traditional material that can be found in modern or traditional designs. It’s the sturdiest option, but it tends to cost more than other types of material.
Plastic – Plastic is a cheap and affordable option that can be found in just about any style you’re looking for. It’s best for those who are on a budget.
Veneer – You can choose between wood or plastic veneers, and they’re a cheaper alternative to solid wood.
Composite – Composite is a great option for those who want to have a more modern desk. It’s affordable and sturdy, but it can’t handle heavy loads.
Futures to Look For
There are several different futures you’ll want to look for when shopping for your next desk. Here’s a list of the most important ones:
Cable Management – Cable management features will help you keep your office supplies organized and looking neat while also protecting them from damage. It’s perfect if you need to save space on or under your desk, too.
Adjustability – Adjustability options can be found on all types of desks. You’ll be able to change the height and switch between sitting or standing positions with ease, which is perfect for those who want to improve their health while working.
Note: Automatic lift desks are another great option for those who want to switch between sitting and standing positions, but they’re more expensive than other types of desks.
Mat – A mat on top of your desk will protect it from scratches that can damage its appearance over time. It’s important if you plan on using any of your desk’s features.
Warranty – Make sure there’s a warranty on the desk that covers any damage or defects for at least five years. You should also look for warranties that include customer service and repairs if needed.
Replaceable Parts – Look for desks that have replaceable parts. If you notice any damage, then you’ll be able to fix it yourself instead of having to buy a new desk.
Accessories – Does the desk come with accessories? Some desks come with office supplies or other items that can help your productivity and comfort levels while working at home.
Lighting – Another accessory that some desks have is built-in lighting. If you need to see better while working, then this would be a great feature for your desk needs.
What to Avoid
If you’re looking for the perfect desk, then there are several things that you’ll want to avoid. Here’s a list of the most important ones:
Clumsy Designs – Clumsy desks can break easily if they aren’t made with sturdy materials or have low weight limits. If possible, avoid buying heavy items when trying out your new desk.
Price – Avoid buying desks just because they’re on sale or cost less than other options. Some of the cheapest desk choices fail to meet your needs in terms of quality, comfort, or durability.
Weak Legs – Avoid desks that have legs made out of plastic or other materials that might not be able to handle the weight placed on them. Look for steel instead, which is a much sturdier option.
5 Tips How to Sit Correctly at Your Desk
When working from home, it’s easy to get distracted and end up slouching or sitting in an uncomfortable position that can cause you pain. Here are some tips for how to sit correctly while working:
- Sit at the right height – Situate your desk so that your forearms are parallel with the ground when typing on your computer. This position will help reduce the amount of shoulder strain you experience while working.
- Make sure your feet are flat – If possible, then make sure that both of your legs can rest on the ground before sitting down at your desk. Your feet should be able to stay flat for it to feel comfortable, and if they’re not touching the floor, then you might want to purchase a footrest.
- Don’t sit too far away from your desk – Make sure that your back is resting against the chair’s back and not just pressing up against it instead. This will help prevent strain on your lower back, which can cause damage over time if you’re sitting for several hours at a time.
- Keep your hands level – Your wrists should be straight, not bent up or down. Keep them aligned with the keyboard if possible to avoid discomfort and strain while typing on your computer.
- Maintain good posture – Look at a wall in front of you instead of focusing directly ahead when working from home. This will help prevent neck pain caused by hunching over your desk.
For more tips on how to sit correctly at your computer, then you can check out this blog post.
Q. How do I choose a desk?
A. It’s important to find the perfect fit for your needs, so you’ll want to look at several different desks before making any final decisions. Check out this blog post for more tips on how to buy the perfect desk today!
Q. What are some of the downsides of using an assembled or unassembled?
A. If you purchase an unassembled desk, then it can take a long time to put together since most of them come with many parts that need to be assembled first. On the other hand, if your new desk comes pre-built or is already put together when you buy it, then there’s a chance that some parts might not have been assembled correctly.
Q. What are some of the things to look for when shopping around?
A. When you’re looking at different desks, there are several factors that can affect your final decision on what desk will work best for you and your needs. Make sure to check out this blog post so that you know exactly what to look for when shopping around.
Q. What’s the best way to choose a standing desk?
A. A lot of people prefer using standing desks, but it can be difficult finding the right one that will work well for your needs because there are so many options out there to choose from. If you’re interested in learning more about what makes a good choice when trying to buy a standing desk, then make sure to check out this blog post today.
Q. Which is better – an adjustable or fixed height?
A. If you’re looking for the perfect option that will work well for your needs, then an adjustable one might be best since it’s more customizable than other types of desks that have preset heights instead. Check out this blog post to learn more about adjustable desks today.