When it comes to sitting at your desk, there are a lot of things you need to take into account in order to maintain a good posture and avoid any potential injuries.
Here is a guide to help you find the most comfortable sitting position at your desk.
Support your Back
One of the most important things to do when you sit at a desk supports your back.
Your chair should have enough cushioning and lumbar support, otherwise, your spine can be seriously injured if it’s not supported properly.
Adjust your chair and desk height
it is important to adjust the height of your chair and workstation.
If your desk is too high or low, you can get back pain and even carpal tunnel syndrome.
The best position for the keyboard tray is at the elbow’s height when you are sitting in front of it with your arms straightened.
Make sure that there is enough space between your knees and the edge of the seat so they don’t touch each other.
While you are sitting, your feet should be flat on the floor or resting on a stool.
Make Sure Your Screen s at eye level
Most people make the mistake of looking down at their computer screen.
This can lead to neck pain and even headaches.
To avoid this, you should adjust your screen height so that its top is at eye level when you’re sitting in front of it.
Rest Your Feet on The Floor
When you are sitting at your desk, it’s important that the weight of your legs is evenly distributed.
This means that both feet should be resting on the floor with their heels touching the ground.
Also, don’t cross your legs because this position can cause blood to stagnate, increasing fatigue and discomfort over time.
Make Objects Easy To Reach
Another essential thing to do when you sit at a desk is that it’s easy for you to reach the objects which are next to your workstation. If not, this can result in neck pain and even backache.
Make sure that the position of every object around your workspace is right so that you don’t have to strain or stretch too much to reach them.
Avoid Screen Reflection
Another problem that you might experience when working at a desk is a reflection on your computer screen.
This usually happens because of the bright light in the room or too shiny furniture around it.
If this bothers you, try to avoid direct sunlight coming into your workstation and use blinds or curtains to block reflections from windows.
Also, try to avoid overhead lights because they create shadows that can distort the image on your screen.
If you are using a tablet or laptop, it’s best if you don’t work in direct sunlight and use artificial
Another thing is that some people find wearing glasses uncomfortable for this kind of work while others find them perfect. So it really depends on your needs and preferences.
Take Short Breaks From Sitting
When you sit at your desk the entire day, it’s essential that you take a few minutes for yourself and walk around every now and then.
This will improve blood circulation in your body as well as reduce back pain caused by long periods of stillness.
If needed, set an alarm on your phone every hour. This way, you will remember about taking some breaks at the same time.
5 Desk Exercises – How to Improve Posture
If you want some excellent exercises for those who spend a lot of time sitting, here are a few simple desk exercises that can help strengthen back muscles and make them more flexible:
- The first exercise is called the shoulder shrug. To do it, you need to lift your shoulders as high as possible and squeeze them together for a few seconds before releasing them back down. Repeat this process ten times in a row, then take a break of 30 seconds or one minute if needed
- The second desk exercise is called “chest stretch”. To do it, stand up straight with your hands on the top of your chair. Then lean forward until you feel a good stretch in your chest muscles
- The third exercise is called “seated twist“. For this one, sit down properly with both feet flat on the ground and then slowly bring the left knee to touch the right elbow while turning towards that side. Hold this position for 30 seconds, then do the same thing on the other side
- The fourth exercise is called “seated leg twist”. To do it, sit down on a chair and stretch your legs out in front of you. Place both hands behind the left side if possible and then cross over to touch the right knee with the left elbow. Hold the position for 30 seconds, then do it on another side
- The final exercise is called “seated backstretch”. Sit up straight with your feet flat on the ground and raise both arms over your head. Bend forward until you feel a good stretch in your back muscles, hold this position for 20-30 seconds if possible before slowly
5 Tips on How to Choose an Office Chair
When you’re shopping for a desk chair, there are many things that can be taken into consideration.
- Back and Lumbar Support – These two aspects can make a huge difference in terms of comfort. If you want to get yourself the best possible desk chair, look for one that offers adjustable back support. Some chairs even offer lumbar massage for extra comfort and relaxation
- Seat Height – It’s important to find a desk chair whose seat is adjustable to your height. This way you can make sure that the desk chair will fit perfectly no matter how tall or short you are
- Armrests – If your desk chair comes with armrests, you will sit more comfortably. However, if it doesn’t come with armrests, you can buy them separately because they are fairly cheap and easy to install. In general, it’s a good idea to look for a desk chair that has armrests
- Swivel – If you want to be able to turn your chair easily, look for one with a swivel feature. This way you can turn around to face other people or simply look out the window if needed
- Ergonomy – For ultimate comfort, look for a desk chair that is ergonomic. These types of chairs are specially designed to offer the best possible support to your back and neck.
For more in-depth information on how to choose an Office Chair click here
5 Tips on How to choose an Office Desk
When looking for an office desk, there are many different things to consider.
- Size – First of all, you need to consider the size of your office. If you have a lot of space, then it’s okay to buy an oversized desk that offers more storage options and space for your equipment. However, if you’re working in a tight space, then it’s important to find the right desk that will fit perfectly and save as much space as possible
- Adjustability – The next thing to consider when buying an office desk is adjustability. Some desks come with adjustable shelves or drawers, while others can be adjusted in terms of height
- Shape – If you want to be able to store your equipment and keep the desk surface clear, then it’s important to find the right desk that is not only adjustable but also comes in a practical shape. Rectangular shapes are perfect for small spaces, while L-shaped desks are great for larger offices
- Material – The material of the desk is also something that needs to be taken into consideration. You can choose between real wood, laminate, or particleboard. If you want to be able to clean the desk easily and wipe away any stains, then particleboard is the best choice.
- Ergonomics – If you want to make sure that your desk will help you avoid back and neck pain, it’s a good idea to look for an ergonomic desk. These types of desks offer the best possible support and will keep you comfortable for many years to come
For more in-depth information on how to choose an Office Desk click here.
How we Test
How often should I take a break from sitting?
It’s important to take a break once every 45 minutes when you’re sitting, but it depends on your comfort levels and individual needs.
Some people can work for longer periods of time without taking a break, while others need to take one every hour or so
Is it necessary to buy the most expensive desk chair?
No, you don’t need to spend a lot of money on an ergonomic desk chair. You can find a great desk chair for a reasonable price
What are the benefits of an adjustable desk chair?
An adjustable desk chair offers great support and is perfect for both short and tall people. Depending on your needs, you can also adjust the chair in terms of height and angle.
What is the best type of desk for my posture?
If you want to avoid back and neck strain, it’s a good idea to look for an ergonomic desk that is adjustable and comes with a firm backrest. You can find more information here
What exercises should I do to improve my posture?
If you want to improve your posture, it’s a good idea to do specific exercises that strengthen the back and core muscles.
Some of the most popular exercises are pushups, squats, and planks. You can find more information here(alpinyoga.com)
Is it necessary to buy a large desk?
If you have plenty of space, then it’s okay to buy an oversized desk that offers more storage options and space for your equipment.
However, if you’re working in a tight space, then it’s important to find the right desk that will fit perfectly and save as much space as possible